The Book of 1 John Pt. 1
John the Apostle seems confident in this letter that if God’s people hold fast to Christ, and live a life of love, their Christian experience will be vital and wholesome. His opening verses set the tone of this epistle and define its direction. In Part 1 of this four-part series, Dr. Price stresses the themes of love, light, and forgiveness, which guide us into fellowship and thus into joy.
- Sin breaks fellowship with the Father. Anyone who walks in the light that God as revealed will take note of his own sin consciousness.
- “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins…” Is this scripture for Christians, or does it mean that God requires the sinner to confess his sins in order to get saved?
- The genuineness of our relationship with God is revealed by how we behave toward one another. Those who hate their brother for any cause continue to walk in darkness.
- There is a danger in embracing the world’s system with its godless values, which can turn a Believer’s heart away from the Lord.
- Continual abiding in the truth concerning God’s Word will protect Believers from falling victim to fleshly desires.